Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
I have had good acting teachers and not so good ones. I have had teachers who seem to really care about me and my learning and those who seemed to be more interested in my money than anything else. I learned from my experiences studying acting and I want to share them with you.
Before you go off looking for a school or a teacher, that it is important to have some idea of what you are really looking for in a teacher and what exactly you would like to get out of an acting class. Now you might say: How should I know that if this is the first class I have never taken classes before? My answer to that question would be: Thats the reason you come to websites like this one. So read on.
Let me share with you my criteria for the choice of acting teachers or acting schools or places just to take acting classes(these are not in order):
· Teachers have experience acting
· Provides ongoing training (ongoing classes) and not just one course, one day at a time
· Has a base acting technique and they can tell you what it is
· Has a technique that is conducive to my style of learning (Everyone has his/her own style of learning. That means that you need to find first how you best learn.
· Has a technique that gets me results as quickly as possible and that is easy to use (If you dont know if the teacher you are interviewing can do that for you, you might have to go trial and error. But I would ask the question anyway: What makes this acting technique able to give me faster results than some of the others?
· Faculty that is serious and professional
· Acting teachers who care about my learning, who push me and challenge me, and who will kick me in the butt if necessary
· Teachers who dont treat me like a number
· Teachers who take pride in the development of their students and who really care
· They offer acting classes that are within my budget.
· Class times suitable for my schedule
· Offers a variety of classes that are complementary to each other so that I can stay at the same school and practice the technique in all the classes I take there. (It helps to stay focused instead of taking a technique class at one school, audition technique at another, scene study at another, and so on. However, it might not be possible to do everything at one school. This is what I preferred a few years ago, when I was just starting out. Most schools usually specialize in one thing or do one thing really well. If you can find a school that does more than one thing well, thats a plus. Just a thought.) Having different
· Doesnt play favorites
. Everyone is treated equally and fairly
These are my criteria for choosing acting teachers. When you are the one choosing, I would suggest for you to have some criteria of your own. If you dont know what you are looking for and why, then any school and any teacher (and maybe even at any price) will do. Know what it is you are looking for instead of just going to a school because one of your friends or someone you know is going there. Know what it is that will make you stay there. Have clear objectives for what it is you want to accomplish. I know its not always easy, especially now that you are maybe just beginning this new way of thinking, but the more you do it, the more comfortable you will feel and the easier it will become. In the beginning when you dont know anything, it is difficult, but as you continue in your profession, things will become clearer to you. Good luck.
Here are two DVDs by two of the great acting teachers of all time; Uta Hagen & Sanford Meisner. You can see how they actually conduct their classes and the things they taught their students.
Also have a look at these books on acting teachers:
The Great Acting Teachers and Their Methods (Career Development Book)
A Dream of Passion: The Development of the Method
The Vocal Vision: Views on Voice by 24 Leading Teachers, Coaches and Directors
Lee Strasberg, the Imperfect Genius of the Actors Studio
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY