Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
How much does starting an acting career cost? Well, that depends on how you intend to start it. But I think we all agree, that it does cost something. To be able to come up with ways to make money that will keep actors focused on their acting careers, has always been a hot topic and it probably will continue to be.
Weve all heard the term, struggling actor before right? Well, unfortunately it is a harsh reality. Why? Because most actors, new actors especially, dont realize how much work goes into creating and building an acting career. Many, still think that if they can just get an agent, even though they might not have one ounce of training, that they will make it. Nothing could be further from the truth. It takes time, perseverance and hard work to build an acting career and to do that, you need to be able to have a flexible time schedule.
Lets look at some facts.
· A couple of years ago, it has been reported that the average salary of an actor in the U.S. is $6.000 per year!
· Most actors have a so-called day or night job to make ends meet and pay the rent.
· Most actors have not the money to be able to take acting classes when they want. So they have to save up to be able to do that.
· Most actors dont have the money to be able to get their headshots taken when they want, so they have to often wait for months to get the money together.
· Many actors spend their money frivolously and dont know where their money really goes.
Now here is an approximation of your possible acting career cost at the start.
· Take at least one on-going acting technique class if you are interested creating a solid base and if you are serious about acting. The cost: approximately $250 - $375 per month
· Take an improvisation class if you can afford to add to your skill. This type of class is especially important for on-camera commercial work. The cost: approximately $200 per month
· Props for an acting technique class, for scenes, acting books, notebooks, clothes, etc. The cost: average of $10 - $15 per month
· Headshots: $250 and up
And then, to add to your acting career cost, there are specialty classes you could take, depending on where your interests lie:
· On-camera commercial
· On-camera film class
· On-camera day-time/prime-time television class
· Acting for film
· Audition technique
· Shakespeare and the classics
· Commercial print
· Acting for soap operas
· Theatre acting
· Acting business classes
· Career mentoring
· Voice reproduction
· Monologue preparation
· Scene study
· Forums with casting directors and agents
And There Is More To Add To Your Acting Career Cost: · Industry trade shows
· There is rehearsal space at places like Ripley Greer Studios in NY for example, that provide places for you to practice with your scene partners.
· Theres the travel to an audition. For example when in NY, sometimes I take the train and go to New Jersey to audition.
· You will want to get a reel done at some point to showcase the work that you have done
· You want to have a place to have your headshots, résumé, bio, reel, audio file, etc. A website will come in handy. It doesn't have to cost a lot, but then again, it depends on what kind of image you want to project. There are free websites if you have no money at all to invest.
· Youll want to stay fit, so a gym membership could be a good thing to have.
· If you live out of town, you might even incur excessive costs just to be able to get to class!
· And lets not forget about the cost of your mailings to casting directors and agents. Oh yes my friend! That costs money too!
· And lastly, when you are out all day, a stop by Starbucks, Jamba Juice or a local 7-Eleven is inevitable and sometimes irresistible.
Well, I think you get the idea. If you are just starting out and you keep things on the low end of the spending realm, then you are looking at spending an additional $250 - $350 on your acting career each month, which of course depends on your personal situation. Thats a lot of money for someone who is just barely able to make ends meet and pay the rent!
So what does all this mean about your acting career cost at the beginning? It means that we actors need to understand what we are getting ourselves into, so that we dont end up struggling! Thats why I always say, do your homework first, because it does not have to be that way.
I repeat, It Does Not Have To Be That Way!
Here are some additional links you might find helpful with regard to your acting career cost, money and budgeting:
This should also be of help. More specifically, if you are planning on going somewhere else to study for a while, you can see here a breakdown of what my costs were the first couple of times I went to NY.
So what can you do?
If you are really serious about acting, then you might want to consider some different and great ways to make money so that you will have greater flexibility of time and be able to focus more on your acting career. So how much will the start to your acting career cost? Here are some ideas you could implement, so that you dont have to worry about it!
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY