Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
Actor marketing is often under-estimated by actors new to the business. Many dont understand its importance and others still simply dont know how to do it. If you dont have many contacts with casting directors, agents, directors, producers, production companies and other industry professionals, been having trouble making contact with the people who can take your career to the next level or if you are having trouble just building relationships in general, you will certainly find the list below of excellent tips helpful.
This list was put together by Janice Hoffmann (pictured left), a career and life coach who works regularly with young actors to help them on their way to creating their careers. I met Janice a few years ago while taking one of her acting career mentoring classes at Ward Studio in New York City. Janice runs her own coaching business at SuccessIsSweetest.com
Actor Marketing Tips
20 Networking Tips by Janice Hoffmann
1. Understand that THE MEANING OF NETWORKING IS to establish CONTACTS NEEDED TO TAKE a CAREER TO THE NEXT LEVEL.
2. A NETWORK IS CRUCIAL. IT LEADS TO WORK.
3. NETWORKING IS NOT SCHMOOZING. NETWORKING IS DEVELOPING KEY RELATIONSHIPS and FRIENDSHIPS IN THE INDUSTRY.
4. KEEP YOUR SOCIAL AND EVENT CALENDAR FULL. YOU MUST WORK HARD TO REMAIN VISIBLE.
5. ACTORS SHOULD DO THEIR RESEARCH BEFORE ATTENDING SCREENINGS, FESTIVALS, SHOWCASES OR NETWORKING EVENTS.
6. A KEY ELEMENT OF NETWORKING IS KNOWING THE PLAYERS IN THE INDUSTRY. DETERMINE 3-6 PEOPLE YOUD LIKE TO MEET.
7. WHEN MEETING SOMEONE NEW, BE PREPARED TO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY. KEEP UP WITH CURRENT EVENTS. CULTIVATE INTERESTS.
8. DEVELOP A SPECIALIZED FORM OF KNOWLEDGE. BECOME AN EXPERT, SOMETHING THAT SETS YOU APART FROM EVERYONE ELSE.
9. STOP PLACING SO MUCH IMPORTANCE ON THE FIRST MEETING. BE IN IT FOR THE LONG HAUL. GO FOR LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP BUILDING.
10. BUILD PERSONAL CONNECTIONS RATHER THAN TAKING AND RECIEVING INSTANT REWARDS.
More Actor Marketing Tips
11. ITS NOT WHAT YOU KNOW BUT WHO YOU KNOW--OR, ITS NOT WHO YOU KNOW BUT WHO KNOWS YOU.
12. WHEN IT COMES TO MEETING PEOPLE, ITS NOT ONLY WHOM YOU GET TO KNOW BUT ALSO HOW AND WHERE YOU GET TO KNOW THEM.
13. IF YOU RECEIVE A BUSINESS CARD FROM SOMEONE WHO AGREES TO TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR MATERIALS, FOLLOW UP THE NEXT DAY.
14. ULTIMATLELY GETTING A BUSINESS CARD IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GIVING ONE.
15. GETTING TO KNOW PEOPLE ALWAYS REAPS MORE BENEFITS THAN TALKING SHOP.
16. BE OF SERVICE TO ANOTHER PERSON. RECOMMEND A GOOD BOOK, A RESTAURANT, A MOVIE, A CLASS, AND WRITE IT ON THE BACK OF YOUR BUSINESS CARD.
17. YOUVE GOT TO BECOME YOUR OWN PR PERSON. DOCUMENT THE CONTACTS MADE AND FOLLOW UP WITH IT WAS GREAT TO MEET YOU CARDS, MAILED OUT THE NEXT DAY.
18. IN A BUSINESS, IN WHICH FOLLOW-THROUGH IS RARE, A NOTE MAKES THE PERSON FEEL SPECIAL AND SHOWS THAT YOU ARE ON TOP OF YOUR GAME.
19. MAKE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE NOT JUST THOSE WHO WILL ASSIST IN GETTING YOU WORK.
20. SEND THANK YOU NOTES BY THE TRUCK LOAD.
Janice Hoffmann is a career and life coach in New York City. In addition to catering to her clients through her business SuccessIsSweetest.com, she also teaches a very practical and on-going career mentoring workshop for actors at Ward Acting Studio. Visit Janices website at www.SuccessIsSweetest.com.
You can now add this list of actor marketing tips to my 29 ways to promote yourself! With this, you should be off to a great start! So? What are you waiting for?
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY