Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
What it takes to become an actor Part I: 23 Different Types Of Acting Classes
You can never have enough acting training. Many aspiring actors take acting classes for a couple of weeks or months and then go and get an agent, thinking that they have all the training they need. That is not nearly enough training to say that you are a well-trained actor or actress. Make sure your classes are good and on-going. Continuous training will only make you more confident and make you better. As you can see from the list below, there is always some aspect of your acting skill that you can work on.
1. First and foremost is your acting technique (I'm hoping that's the kind of class you are taking; i.e. Meisner, Method, etc.) there are many other types of classes you need to take to round yourself out as an actress:
2. scene study
3. Classics (i.e. Shakespeare, etc. This is not absolutely necessary, but adds another dimension to your acting.)
4. acting for film & television
5. acting for prime-time television
6. acting for daytime television (soaps)
7. acting for sit-coms
8. theatre acting
9. on-camera techniques (you could also take classes about specific acting techniques for daytime television, prime-time and sit-com)
10. on-camera commercial acting (could be a great way to make some extra money while you are between acting jobs. Plus you can get residuals, which means depending on the project, the money might keep coming in without doing anything.)
11. Improvisation (very important!)
12. audition technique : auditioning and acting are two different beasts.
13. cold reading
14. voice training (as in projecting your natural speaking voice in the most optimal way)
15. movement training
16. monologue choice and delivery
17. You might even want to take some career mentoring classes to help you put together a plan for your career.
18. dialect training
19. script analysis
20. mask work
21. Sensory work
22. voice (as in singing)
Here are some links that might help you as well:
23 benefits to taking acting classes if you really want to become an actor.
How to choose the right school if you really want to become an actor.
What the acting industry recognizes as the best acting training.
What kinds of classes to take to start off and how to set up your own curriculum if you cant afford to go to a well-known acting school.
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY