Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
If you are thinking about a career in acting and if you are the average aspiring actor, more than likely you are not aware of some very important basics that will inevitably have an impact on your success or failure in this business. With more than twenty-nine years experience as an acting teacher and coach in Los Angeles, Bernard Hiller (pictured below), I can say from personal experience, does an amazing job at bringing out the best in his students. He was kind enough to share this article with us here at ActingCareerStartUp.com about his 13 Ingredients for total success. Youll find them here below. Ask yourself if you have these qualities.
A Career In Acting
Many actors come to Los Angeles without an understanding of what it takes to become a successful working actor. Some feel that they have a great deal of talent and nothing else is necessary. But having talent is not special enough. What is truly special is someone who knows how to take their talents to the very top of their profession. With so much great training given in Hollywood, why is it that so many performers never succeed? Its because they dont understand that they are in a business and that all the rules of business apply. It is called Show-business for a reason. It is not called Show-up or Show-off. To succeed, actors need to take certain actions and make a specific plan for success, because success is not an accident. The reason I feel that we dont have more stars in Hollywood is that very few actors are willing to do what is truly necessary to succeed. Here is a list of the 13 Ingredients for total success. They are not easy to implement but once you apply these rules into your life and career, you also will be among the working actors.
1. Discover what is it that you bring to show business that it doesnt have already. If they have it, they dont need you. It is difficult to ascertain this for yourself, so you will need help with discovering your unique qualities. You must find someone who is not only a teacher, but is a mentor who has your best interests at heart; someone you can trust. This is step one and if you cannot find the answer to step one there is no step two.
2. Have a very powerful and meaningful goal or dream from which you cannot be deterred. That is the only way that you will overcome all the obstacles and the negative situations that will occur in your career in acting. Immediately people will tell you that you cannot achieve it and that it is impossible. As Neil Simon said If anyone can stop you from being in this business, then its not for you.
3. Increase your own sense of worth. You must change any behaviors or thoughts in which you do not value yourself, and you must eliminate anything from your life that is not in line with your goals and dreams.
4. You must be willing to give to your goal more then you ever expected. You must fall in love with acting and all that comes with it and then acting will fall in love with you.
5. You must change your attitude to more gratitude. Find more things in your life and career that you can be grateful for right now. Start to live your life as though you already have the career you desire.
6. Surround yourself with more creativity and people who bring out the best in you. You need to be inspired every day in your career in acting. Who you spend your time with affects who you are and whether you will become successful in this business.
7. Give up your negative thoughts and ideas. For something new to be born you will need to let your old thinking die. This is crucial to your success. It is your thoughts that have stopped you from reaching your full potential.
8. Learn the rules of the Hollywood game. Where do you go, what do you do? All of life is a game and all games have rules. In order to have a successful career in acting, you will need to know the rules of Hollywood. You will need a mentor to help you for this one as well.
9. In a career in acting, you must be willing to live in uncertainty. You will not know exactly how and when things will occur, but you must trust that they will. You must have unshakable faith. Believe in your instincts. Listen to them as they are always right. Its your brain that is not going to help you.
10. Start taking more risks. Know that all success is based on taking risks. The more you want to win, the more you must be willing to loose. This is where most people fail. They want big things in their lives but they are not willing to take big risks.
11. Bring more fun and love to the actors journey. Whenever you bring love and joy to what you do, all will go better. Laugh. Joy attracts success.
12. Create a business plan for your career in acting that is effective. If you fail to plan you plan to fail. You must realize that no one has ever achieved lasting success without an effective business plan. You must ask for help and create a team. You cannot become successful alone. You must also be flexible and willing to change things along the way.
13 You must Burn the Lifeboat. Once you have decided that this is the career you want for your life, burn the lifeboats and you will never be able to back out of your own commitment. Any alternate plan will deter you from your goal. When you have no choice, you will make it, because there is no alternative. You will do whatever it takes to succeed.
Of course, you must train with the very best teachers and surround yourself with the best mentors to harness your talent. Never compromise on yourself and on your dream.
Remember that a career in acting takes a lot of hard work. After reading this article, do you think you have what it takes?
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY