Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
How do you do it?
You have to POSITION yourself to get discovered! It's that simple. It's simple, but it's not easy!
It's just like in sports. Even the best football player on the field cannot score a goal or a touchdown, if he is not in the right place at the right time! And, the best actors don't always get acting work if they are not in the right place at the right time. See the 10 things you can do to start your acting career.
So here is what you can do for starters to get discovered:
1. Start training. Start to study acting and don't stop no matter how good you think you are or how good others tell you are.
2. Study the acting industry. Find out how it works. Find out who casts what, what agents look for in an actor, what the unions do, what the current issues are in the industry, etc.
3. Figure out what your type is.
4. Learn basic business, networking and self-promotional skills for actors.
5. Learn how to conduct yourself in an acting audition. Auditioning and acting on set are two different beasts.
6. If you really want to get discovered you need to surround yourself with people who are already doing what you want and not with people who are trying to get what you want.
7. Talk to both working actors, who are making a living from acting as well as to aspiring actors who have been talking a lot over the past couple of years, haven't done very much, still don't have an agent and aren't taking classes and who are always making excuses for why they are not further along in their careers. You can learn from both groups! From one you learn what to do. From the other, you will learn how NOT to be.
8. Stay curious and never ever think you know it all. Be humble.
9. Once you start to achieve some success, help others who are in the same position you were once. You'll see that it will pay off, because when people see you help actors by sharing with them your knowledge and experience, others will be more willing to help you if you need help.
10. At some point during all this you should ask yourself (and be honest) if you really, honestly and truly have the passion for acting and to do what is necessary to succeed.
Once you do those things regularly, you will start to intuitively know how to position yourself to get discovered.
I conducted an interview with a Hollywood acting coach Bernard Hiller who said that, "If you let anything at all stop you from becoming an actor, that simply means that it's not for you." That's why point number 10 is so important, because this is hard work and if you don't have passion, true desire and motivation, you won't go very far.
Have a look at this page on my site for new and aspiring teen actors. It has links to 23 pages that have to do with different aspects of starting an acting career. Aside from finding practical tips on how to promote yourself, how to get an agent, taking classes, choosing a school and so on, I invite you to read the page about becoming famous.
I hope this makes it easier for you to answer the question for yourself about how to get discovered!
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY