Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
Choosing a headshot photographer is a big decision, as our actor headshots are a very important piece of our marketing package.
We need to make sure we have thoroughly evaluated potential photographer candidates before deciding who will have the honor of taking your pictures.
While searching out photographers in your city or in the city you want to have them taken in, there are 10 things you'll want to consider.
This list was put together with the help of Peter Hurley, one of the most sought after headshot photographers in the US.
First of all look at the different headshot photographers' websites and look over their pictures.
When looking at photographers pictures, take particular note of the following things:
The quality of the pictures:
2. Quality of the printing (if you see hard copies)
3. Expressions on the faces of the actors
4. Does the photographer have everyone pose in the same way or do you see individualism expressed with each actor?
5. Are the women photographed all in a certain way? If so, learn from that. Especially if you think it would be the right way for you to be photographed for your headshots. What you might also learn is that it might seem that this photographer has a standard way of shooting everyone, no matter who they are or what their strong qualities are. That might not be a good thing!
6. Are the men photographed all in a certain way? You can learn the same things listed above with regard to the way women are photographed.
7. Are the poses of the actors appropriate? When we talk about appropriate, we might mean appropriate with regard to the way the person is dressed, with regard to the look in his eyes. In other words, is the look in the person's eye in line with the pose? Does it look like the eyes and the pose are communicating the same thing?
8. Ask yourself the question, If I were a casting director looking at these photos, would I call these people in?
9. Another question to ask yourself, especially if you see some photos that just arent of very good quality and/or with poor lighting and poor expressions: Why does this photographer have these photos on his website? Are they the best actor headshots that he/she has to show off to prospective clients?
10. Do you like the photographer's style?
If a photographer doesnt have a website, thats not a good sign, that he/she is reputable. A website is the way to showcase yourself in this business as a photographer. If a photographer doesnt have one, then that should raise a flag as to his/her credibility in this business. It doesnt mean they are not good, but let it be a first alarm that you park in your mind until you move on and see his/her work. Today in 2016, why wouldn't a headshot photographer who is reputable have a website!?
More on choosing a good headshot photographer by Peter Hurley. Click here.
Peter Hurley is one of the leading photographers in the United States of America. His skills are highly sought after and he receives numerous referrals from casting directors and agents alike. He now teaches photography to other photographers.
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY