Your site is so great, it makes researching the business sooo much easier having all the info in one place! thankyou thankyou thankyou.
Amada, aspiring actress, Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to say that this site is FANTASTIC! It's helped me quite a bit and it's now my #1 bookmarked item, which means I'm going to be visiting here regularly :) Thanks again,
Rob, aspiring actor, Canada
I absolutely love your site - it's SOOOO helpful and very impressive!
I am a frequent visitor and have signed up for the newsletter, plus I think it's so good I have recommended it to all my acting friends! Thank you for creating such a wonderful website!
Wow Tony! I would just like to comment on how much you have affected my life.
First of all, any questions I have are answered extremely fast, and not only that, you give me a very helpful answer every time. Also, by reading your newsletters, I obtain just the right information that I need to succeed in the acting business. I am so happy I discovered your site, and I hope you know how much we actors appreciate you. Thanks again, and I can't wait to read your next newsletter!
Laura Doukas, Actress
I did what you said and I got two interviews with two agents! Thank you! Sorry but can I ask you how do I prepare to go meet the agent? What do I have to do?
Marsha P., New York, NY, USA
This site has taught me a lot that I needed to know without dragging me all over the place.
Lauren, actress, Atlanta, GA
Being able to come up with ways to make money that will keep actors focused on their acting careers, has always been a hot topic and it probably will continue to be.
Weve all heard the term, struggling actor before right? Well, unfortunately it is a harsh reality. Why? Because most actors, new actors especially, dont realize how much work goes into creating and building an acting career. Many, still think that if they can just get an agent, even though they might not have one ounce of training, that they will make it. Nothing could be further from the truth. It takes time, perseverance and hard work to build an acting career and to do that, you need to be able to have a flexible time schedule.
Lets look at some facts that prompted me to think about different ways to make money.
· A couple of years ago, it has been reported that the average salary of an actor in the U.S. is $6.000 per year!
· Most actors have a so-called day or night job to make ends meet and pay the rent.
· Most actors have not the money to be able to take classes when they want. So they have to save up to be able to do that.
· Most actors dont have the money to be able to get their headshots taken when they want, so they have to often wait for months to get the money together.
· Many actors spend their money frivolously and dont know where their money really goes.
Now here is what is necessary to really start to build an acting career.
· Take at least one on-going acting technique class if you are interested creating a solid base and if you are serious about acting. The cost: approximately $250 - $375 per month
· Take an improvisation class if you can afford to add to your skill. This type of class is especially important for on-camera commercial work. The cost: approximately $200 per month
· Props for a technique class, for scenes, acting books, notebooks, clothes, etc. The cost: average of $10 - $15 per month
· Headshots: $250 and up
And then there are specialty classes you could take, depending on where your interests lie:
· On-camera commercial
· Acting for film
· Audition technique
· Shakespeare and the classics
· Commercial print
· Acting for soap operas
· Theater acting
· Acting business classes
· Career mentoring
· Voice reproduction
· Monologue preparation
· Scene study
· Forums with casting directors and agents
· There are industry trade shows to attend that sometimes have costs associated with them.
· And don't forget the showcases you will want to attend.
· Then, remember that you will want to attend theater yourself so you can see the pros at work and learn from them.
· There is rehearsal space at places like Ripley Greer Studios in NY for example, that provide places for you to practice with your scene partners.
· Theres the travel to an audition. For example when in NY, sometimes I take the train and go to New Jersey to audition.
· Youll want to stay fit, so a gym membership could be a good thing to have.
· If you live out of town, you might even incur excessive costs just to be able to get to class!
· And lets not forget about the cost of your mailings to casting directors and agents. Oh yes my friend! That costs money too!
Do you see what I mean? I think you get the idea. If you are just starting out and you keep things on the low end of the spending realm, then you are looking at spending an additional $250 - $350 per month on your acting career, which of course depends on your personal situation. Thats a lot of money for many actors who are just barely able to make ends meet and pay the rent! The bottom line is that you will need to think of some ways to make money to fund your career.
So what does all this mean? It means that most actors dont even think about what they are getting themselves into, so they end up struggling. Thats why I always say, do your homework first, because it does not have to be that way.
I repeat, It Does Not Have To Be That Way! There are many more ways to make money than just going to work at a traditional job, that robs you of valuable time you could be using to further your acting career AND pays you peanuts!
So what can you do?
Well for starters, have a look at some ways to make money that I personally recommend.
Whether you found those ways interesting or not, if you are really serious about acting, you might want to consider some other ways to make money so that you will have greater flexibility of time and be able to focus more on your acting career.
Look here to see what I'm doing that is giving me the flexibility to go on auditions, take acting jobs, do voice-over work, all without having to worry about asking off work or ruining my other job. I have it all taken care of. And you know what? It's a good feeling!
We will abide by the law
and protect your privacy.
Your e-mail address
will not be abused or
given to anyone else.
I want to say you changed my life. I want to be an actress so bad, but i began losing motivation when I couldn't figure out what to do. And then I found you! Thanks to you, I'm taking my first acting classes next month! Yippee!
Sara, Pasadena, CA
Just wanted to thank you for bringing me in to [audition for the video], meet you and chat this Saturday. I was really excited to hear about your working on actingcareerstartup.com and even took a look at it today - it's awesome! You are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it shows through the work that you do! I hope our paths in the industry will cross again and really enjoyed meeting you. Thanks, again and best wishes with your very important work!
Gretchen, NY, NY